Friday, May 14, 2010

Restless mind, tired body - Day 3

I think jetlag got the best of me last night. I really couldnt sleep at all. So what did I do? I was restless and my mind was working on my project for the next 5 weeks. I spent most of the dark hours drawing and at least trying to fall asleep. Worked out - and by the way the exercise band was an excellent idea to bring!
Early enough to snag breakfast before the Legoland crowd. I was also able to snag lunch from the breakfast buffet. This is going to work out quite nicely! The crowd was incredulous in the morning when I was picked up.
Just to show you that LEGO is truly international, my coworker who picked me up is from Argentina. At the office I was able to build in the fruits of my late night labor. I still feel like i'm all over the place there and hopefully I can get focused on one thing instead of trying to do everything at once. I was very happy with the results though, and with a little tweaking I think I might have something that'll pass through the crazy tests all lego products must go through I'm sure. At some point during the day I think lack of sleep was kicking in. Determined to stay concious, I build like a madman instead of my intense bouts of thinking followed by a short burst of creative output. Around the same point i also realized that my projects were real ones now, not just the ones i use off the top of my head. I had a moment of feeling that I'm in over my head, quickly followed by I shall knock this project on its ass to completion before I leave ! And then work was over.

I slept for an hour.

Determined not to break the bank on dinner, i took my first excursion into town alone. at 630 its still bright daylight out, but most of the stores were about ready to close. I was able to pull out some Krone so finally i have cash! The town is insanely small, but quaint and friendly. Everything is so expensive, beer is really cheaper than water or even soft drinks. I got myself some refreshments for the room, which though expensive, were cheaper than the .5L Ice Tea here in the hotel. I hope I can come back around when supermarkets are open, i need to get me some ramen for those lazy nights in!
I was able to get in front of the LEGO Idea house and Ole Kirk's old shop and look in to the history of LEGO from 1932 to 2009. REALLY cool to take pix there, and hope that i'll be able to get in and take pix inside too. I think the archive is there as well.
I found a few restaurants and I'm sure to eat at every one of them at least twice while I'm here. I decided on pizza, which I heard wasnt great here, but its pizza and you can't mess up pizza. Mama's Pizzeria was full of families, as i'm sure Billund is. Must be a nice town to raise a family ya? The walk back kinda cooled down the pizza more than I wanted. But, the pizza, with cut ham, pepperoni and pineapples was quite tasty. Along with Tuborg Pilsner, not too bad of a dinner for a fraction of the price of hotel dinner.
Well tomorrow i'm off to LEGOLand, hopefully the weather cooperates. I have heard about people going to LEGOLand in ponchos! But I do worry about clean clothes. I guess that will come too. Gotta get back to the workout 'routine' and finally kick this jetlag. Til tomorrow!

And yes, a few more pix up on facebook. LEGOLand will have its own folder, I'll be filling the card there.

Laters all

No comments: