Saturday, May 22, 2010

Adventure in Arhus - Day 11

So After researching my trip yesterday I embarked on my journey this morning.

I made sure I had a big breakfast!

The directions lied, the bus stop is in front of Hotel LEGOLand, not LEGOLand itself. Its not that far away, but it is a difference. For 61DKK I was on my way to Vejle, which i believe is supposed to be the largest city in Denmark, but dont quote me on it. I was only there for a few minutes.

The bus was pretty comfortable and the scenery was great. I finally got to understand why LEGO houses look the way they look. Inspiration comes from the Danish countryside. Wind farms marred a near perfect landscape but were beautiful in their own right. The turbines were quite elegant actually and were quite graceful.

At Vejle was the train station, it was a little confusing at first, but i told myself that if i could get around NYC, this should be cake. And it eventually was. The ticket, round trip was 119 DKK.. this trip is getting expensive! And the train was pretty comfy too, not much different from a metronorth or LIRR train. These had Wifi, but me without a code ya? I didnt want to pay for internet on the train, that'd make me a junkie!

I arrived at Arhus, and right away theres a bridge above with hundreds of bikes. But I actually came up to the main level which was a mall. When I made it out of there i got right onto their main street. Shops a plenty, i saw like 3 Mcdonalds and a whole bunch of H&M's along with local shops. I liked their design and toy stores too. There was a dance performance in one of the smaller department stores too. It was a pretty crowded street!

I found my way into my first bar there, had a pilsner and a quick convo with the bartender too. The beer was sweet and was a good pick me up. Believe it or not I had McD's for lunch, I figured I was there for the beer and would much rather spend the money on that. I made my way to an Irish pub where I had a Guiness clone and the largest Hoegaarden glass ever! And my last bar, mostly because I shouldnt be drinking so much had me with an English beer, it was ok but still refreshing. I'd like more please!

After the bar hopping I got on one of the free bikes available in Arhus, its a pretty hoppin town, there was a music festival, lively canal seating, people beat boxing and rapping. The buildings are quite nice and again, LEGO Like, or vice versa. But everything closes early. By 6 nearly everything was shut down save for a few fast food places, 7 elevens, and bars. I wandered around for an hour n a half just to see what else there was, and back to Billund I go!

On the bus ride back, I found a certain Jamie Berard! So cool to have a chat with him on the bus ride back to Billund. He gave me some great travel tips. He's been working with LEGO for just around 4 years and his parents finally came to visit him. They must be really proud. I hope to follow similarly and hopefully I'll get to meet with him again.

It was quite an adventure! Pix will never do it justice, but they're up on facebook anyway.

No comments: