Monday, May 17, 2010

Humble pie - day 6

Ahh, my first busy day at the office. I still find it a little bizarre and also truly comforting to come here and at least have met a good chunk of the staff. I met Steve C on the way in followed by a host of people that I met in Atlanta. Jesper has done a wonderful job walking me around to meet everyone and I'm trying to remember as many names as I can and I'll get everyone I'm sure. I got to meet the few other builders at hand there as well as curriculum managers and web developers, hardware and interface designers and programmers. It is a truly international group here with Dutch, Argentinian, French and British coworkers and at least in this office, one Filipino.
The busy atmosphere is incredibly creative, its an open office with high ceilings and bright colors despite the whirring of expansion construction. Its a bit quiet though, since we're all so spread out, many of the workers are constantly at meetings and you can hear the buzz even in my far corner desk.
Many of the employees at LEdu and Mindstorms have been around for so many years now and I find myself just at the tip of what I hope to be a long career. They did have a few who have just started, one as an intern and another as a semi full timer who has been with the company for just a few years. I found myself quite humble amongst all of them and even more once described as a good builder.
Lunch at the canteen on the other side of the building was surprisingly good and affordable. Its a buffet style so one should get there early to get the right pickings, but even at the tail end, they had some pork that reminded me of Lechon! fantastic.
It seems my project has hit a fever pitch and I've got to have something to present this friday! It should be good, but I am a little nervous. I think i've gotta order more parts, its quite strange to me to build without limits, use any part I like, cut, saw glue and have rather a lot of freedom. Although I am too much of a purist to do so, i think it might be necessary for this project. I do need to start to order more parts, I'm "running out"

I walked home for the first time today too. It was a beautiful day. Saw more examples of LEGO being everywhere in this town. Bodum, a homewares company is here too! I found some cows on the way back as well. quite fun.

I also had dinner with 2 of my Dutch coworkers, Will and Jonas took me out for pizza at mamas and they gave me a few more tips on getting around the offices and such. Its great to have some friends! They took me to get a sim card for my phone, but for some reason i cant unlock the phone. I'll figure it out tomorrow.

And I got to watch a part of the Barnard Commencement. Gotta support the gf! So proud of you and wish i was there! Good luck to all them graduates.

No comments: