Friday, May 11, 2018

8 years - Work like you mean it

Another title for this post could have been, Staying Hungry, eluding to the lack of bacon in my apartment today. 

Even though my first real day of work in Denmark was in September, it's this weekend where I actually came to Denmark for the first time.  It was a 5 week 'freelance' and 'interview' process.   All those emotions and feelings and fear and the unknown, bottled up into a 35 day blog sprint. 
These days, man, I hope its me channeling that passion and hunger that I had back then.  I hope i haven't been jaded by age and corporation, but I still find myself digging into the hours and and the bricks.   I can tell myself that I'd do this forever, that I'd do it for free as long as they'd let me.  I can tell myself that its not work, but practice or rehearsal - for a show that will be as grand as ever.   Whatever I do, its mine, and I want every hour and every dream to be seen when its eventually out. 

This is the longest I've ever been anywhere, it was only 5 years in university, just short of a full 7 years at home waiting for the right opportunity after that and now a full eight years living a dream.  Only the fact that it could all change, that life and its beautiful moments are temporary keep me on a teetering edge.  I can't take it for granted, so i give everything i've got, and remember doing so, so many years ago.  I placed brick after brick, even humbled by the amazing talent that sat in front of me.   My how they've all grown and how we've all been impacted by each other.  Maybe I havent taken any courses since I left New York, but i've surely learned  a lot.   I do hope to be here longer, there's still so much to do.  I've learned patience, and persistence.   I remember starting a project almost 2 years ago and now finally seeing the real plastic,  I cant wait to share it with everyone else!

There's no turning back, there's only forward.   There's only a new dream that may come, a future still wonderfully uncertain.  What I like to remember, especially when reading back in the last years, is to keep that passion alive, keep the hunger and will to surprise and WOW, and more importantly to continue that honest self expression through this wonderful medium, and maybe many other mediums.   To keep learning and being a child, and remember that even though you can be at a place and point of wisdom, true experience will dictate that only the openness and willingness to change is what will keep you going.

Here's to staying hungry, outworking yourself..and
time to find some bacon.   

No comments: